tattoos

Monday, February 22, 2010

" Windsor" by Artist Donna K. Woods

Right after I first started blogging, I wrote a post about Hubby and I seeing a Yankee soldier ghost at Windsor Ruins... "Did You See That" ?





If you recall I saw this print at my Indie Book Store when I went to Rick Bragg's book signing.
Hubby bought it for me for Christmas........

I finally got it to the framers a couple of weeks ago to be matted in my great frame find from
Dirt Cheap. ( $20.00)



Yesterday the artist Donna K. Woods and her husband Gary came to visit us!



I made a pot of coffee and fixed a Blackberry Cobbler and the four of us had a wonderful afternoon talking about haunted plantations, southern history and art.






Donna brought me copies of historical documents she's collected over the years about Windsor.
One of the things she brought me was a copy of a letter written by Elizabeth Ross who was the sister of Catherine Daniell, the mistress of Windsor Plantation. apparently she lived at Windsor with her sister during the Civil War. This is an interesting exert from the letter dated January 25, 1867..........
"sad changes have taken place in the last six years. Smith Daniell and four of his little children have died, only six of us left, my sister Catherine, Pris, Tom, myself and little Smith who was born six months after his father's death. ( the 6th is not named)
We had no one to protect us and fight for us during the war, the anxiety and trouble we passed through is past description, all of our property taken from us, one hundred and sixty five horses and mules taken from us, three steam gins,three thousand bales of cotton burnt at one time,our house searched about twenty times. Grant made this his headquarters for two days and then made our house into a hospital, had between four and five hundred wounded in the house at one time and they would not suffer us to leave the house. They allowed us four rooms in the third story. Our cook, cooked our meals out at her house and brought them to us until they left here. The smell from the wounds was very offensive, we could hardly bear it. They made our yard their burying ground, if we made any complaint, they would threaten to burn our house, so we had to bear it patiently. We are so thankful that our house and lands have been saved, we can rent out or lease our plantation land so that we will be able to live comfortably."
So I'm now thinking that the Yankee soldier we saw, is buried in that yard !!!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger