tattoos

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

" NY TIMES BEST-SELLER"

I am by no means an expert on books, if I was I'd be an editor in New York! However I am pretty good at picking great reads. I think this comes from being a multi-genre reader of 50 years. I will admit there are a few genres I don't read such as sci-fy and certain types of romance. I like a little romance if there is a strong woman involved, such as Elizabeth Goodweather in Vicki Lane's 5 star series. Years ago I worked for a record company in Nashville picking singles. For those who don't know what that is, I'll explain. The artist records an album of say 12 songs. Usually the first single release has already been picked. I would get a copy of the album, listen to it several times and then I picked the song I thought was the best one on the album to be the next single. I had a pretty good track record for picking # 1 songs.

This past week I read 2 really awesome books by NC author Peggy Poe Stern.

Heaven -high Hell-deep and its sequel Above All. Both of the books in my opinion should have occupied the # 1 spot on the NY Times and Indie Bound Best-Seller lists!

I would categorize these books as literary fiction.











In Heaven-High, Laine Elder is a 14 year old (going on 30) mountain girl who knows nothing but hard work, her mother's mental abuse and the tragic heartbreak of her baby brothers death. To save her from her mother, her father forces her to marry a man much older. This book GRABS you from the first page and holds you tight till the end leaving you with an ache for more. With grit and determination reminiscent of Scarlett O'Hara, her love of the land will have you cheering her on

and turning the pages to see if she comes out the victor over the trials and tribulations of mountain life. Its cliff hanger ending made me thankful I had also bought the sequel Above All because I don't think I could have waited to find what happened next with Laine!






Above All is an equally great read that you cannot lay down!! At the end you say NO, I can't believe I have to wait for Peggy Poe Stern to write the rest of Laine's story! Thank goodness there will be 2 more books in Laine's story. These books are some of the best writing in print!

I would say run don't walk to your nearest bookstore but here's a shortcut which is your best bet to get these wonderful books. http://peggypoestern.tripod.com/id14.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger