tattoos

Friday, May 20, 2011

John Frieda Frizz-Ease 3-Day Straight

My teenage years were a nightmare where my hair is concerned. As someone who inherited wild, curly, thick, frizzy hair (thanks Mam!), maintaining it and trying to get a straight sleek style was a really daunting task - especially since it was the 1990's and GHD's were nowhere to be found! I had a little gas-cylinder-operated hair straighteners, and some rubbish 'straightening balm' that made my hair lank and greasy. Fast forward 10 years, and thankully the world of hair care has developed significantly, and the newest addition for those of us who have struggled to get locks to rival Jennifer Aniston is John Frieda's innovative 'Frizz-Ease 3-Day Straight Semi-Permanent Styling Spray'.


I was sent this recently and was really excited to trial it - John Frieda is a brand I can rely on to tame my mane, and the product information sounded great!
"Designed to work with your hair straighteners, this weightless spray with heat protection blocks out frizz as you straighten. A revolutionary blend of polymers with keratin protein wraps each strand, sealing in straight style for up to 3 days."

The first time I tried this I sprayed about 10 sprays through my wet, freshly washed hair and blow-dried it. It smelled good and I wasn't met with as much resistance to blow drying as usual. In fact, the blow drying process seemed to have been quicker. However, I run my fingers through my hair and it felt sticky and overloaded with product. My roots weren't greasy or anything, and I still had volume and movement in my hair - it just felt disgusting. I used my straighteners, as instructed, and the sticky feeling seemed to melt away with the heat, and I could tell that my hair had a definite shine. It was sleeker, definitely, and despite being poker straight, I had volume at the roots. It didn't feel like I had any product in anymore - it just felt smooth and soft. Perfect!

So how did it hold up for the 3-day test? I generally wash my hair every 2-3 days anyway, but I purposely left it the full 3 days when I was trialling this. With my regular routine, I have to use my straighteners every single day. Not an awful lot, but particularly at the back of my hair where I've been sleeping, or near the ends. If I've tied my hair up for bed or shower time, the kinks need to be ironed out too. I also tend to have a bit of frizz at the end of the day. With this spray, my hair remained straight throughout Day 1 and it wasn't as frizzy by the end of the day.

I woke up on Day 2 after using this spray and my hair was literally as flat as a pancake. No need to run the straighteners through again - the lengths were perfectly straight - but it was stuck to my head! Not good. I tied it up to go in the shower and the bobble-kinks weren't so prominent that I needed to get out my GHD's. My hair still looked shiny too, so a spritz of Backcomb in a Bottle later, and my hair looked as good as Day 1.

On Day 3, I woke up and immediately wanted to wash my hair. My roots were greasy, my hair looked lank, and it was so much flatter than the day before, but yet again, I didn't need to run the straighteners through. I was determined to see through this experiment, so I dry-shampooed the roots and it looked okay enough for me to leave the house. By the time I got home I was itching to wash my hair! My roots were flat again and the ends of my hair were starting to 'fray'. Had my hair not been in dire need of a wash, it would have been time to whip out the straighteners. So, it definitely keeps my hair straight for 3 days! This is my hair at the end of Day 2:


All in all I am impressed with this spray. I do need to pay extra attention to volumising my roots, but it minimises my use of straighteners, which can only be a good thing. I have used it a couple of times now and I prefer to wash my hair at the end of day 2, which is perfectly acceptable for me. Also, it was windy and rainy one day and my hair did frizz a bit, so it not a weather-proof spray. It does tame significantly though, which is good enough for me. I've also curled my hair with my straighteners at the last minute and it holds the curl brilliantly. I guess it's the 'sealing' theory from the heat.

It retails for £6.99 but John Frieda products are often on offer. Boots are currently selling them for 2 for £7, so stock up while you can!

Have you tried this spray? What do you think?

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger