tattoos

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Lunch With Jammies & Wine




“Wanna just do Thai Princess fried rice then?” it was my dinner suggestion when the hubby called last night, as I was trying to close the store, after a 9 hour shift. I was distracted by register receipts, and the thought of cooking a whole meal was less than exciting, and seeing as I had eaten a crap burger for lunch I wanted something that had a least a few veggies in it. Thai Princess is a Thai place, (der) near our house and they make the absolute best fried rice, chock full of still crunchy veggies, big hunks of whichever meat you choose, mildly spiced as far a chili goes but loaded with tons of black pepper….the best part, it’s like 2 pounds of rice with each order, so it works out to about 3 meals for me…love, loves me some cold Thai fried rice for breakfast. I know they always look at us like freaks when we just order the rice, like, “you don’t want any main dishes?” but like I said, it’s ton of food and really satisfying, if we look like stupid round eyes, whatever, makes me happy.




I woke this morning to find the hubby already deeply entrenched in some web training seminar, wearing that, Oh-my-god-I-want-to-gouge-my-own-eyes-out, look, so any delusions I had about a rare Wednesday afternoon lunch date, (I’m off today) and a movie flew right out the window on my way to the coffee pot. A few hours later he was still there, same look but I could tell by the gradually increasing in volume, sighs, that he was getting hungry. Now, as much as I love the leftover rice deal, the hubby….not so much, he’ll eat it but he is not really a fan of having the same meal back to back. So there I stood in our dinky ass kitchen, wearing my most favorite jammies, (and yes I have favorites and even seasonal favorites…so there) digging around for fried rice enhancements. Cranked the heat on the cast iron skillet, chopped some shallot, grabbed the garlic-chili paste, and whisked a couple eggs with soy sauce, not all that different but a spicier, saltier version, just enough of a change to make the meal more palatable for the finicky, computer funster.





Now seeing that it was just about 11:30 I had a mild pang of guilt or that “Um does this look bad?” when I reached for a bottle of wine, lucky for me that I really don’t give a shit what people think about my behavior, if I worried about that crap I would never have any fun. So I popped the cork on my icy cold bottle of 2008 Domaine de Mattes-Sabran Vin de Pays d’Oc Rose, ($12.99) what an amazing contrast. Steaming hot rice, icy cold wine, spicy chili flavors, bursting berries and freshly cut melon, crunchy veggies, soft, plump mouth feel…kinda debunks that whole, “grows together-goes together” diatribe no? Was it earth shattering, well…no it’s fried rice and Rose, but it was a lovely pairing, enjoyed in my bestest, most comfy jammies and the eye rolling, sigh monster is quieted….now, what’s for dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger