tattoos

Friday, July 8, 2011

Back to the Roots Gourmet Garden: Grow-it-at-home Mushroom Kit Review and Giveaway! and Giveaway


   Grow your own homegrown mushrooms all while supporting a sustainable venture...is this possible?
It is...with BTTR Gourmet Grow-it-at-home Mushroom Kit!

With the BTTR Mushroom kit you can grow multiple crops of mushrooms {up to four}and you can grow up to one and a half lbs of mushrooms in as little as 10 days!

A bit about BTTR


BTTR {aka. Back to the Roots} was founded by Alejandro Velez and Nikhil Arora during their last semester at UC Berkeley in 2009. Two months away from graduation, and heading into the corporate world of investment banking & consulting, they came across the idea during a class lecture of being able to potentially grow gourmet mushrooms entirely on recycled coffee grounds. Inspired by the idea of turning waste into wages & fresh, local food, they experimented in Alex's fraternity kitchen, ultimately growing one test bucket of tasty oyster mushrooms on recycled coffee grounds. With that one bucket, some initial interest from Whole Foods & Chez Panisse and a $5,000 grant from the UC Berkeley Chancellor for social innovation, they decided to forget the corporate route, and instead, become full-time urban mushroom farmers! Inspired by the idea of producing local, fresh food from what was an urban waste stream, Back to the Roots has since grown to create the Grow-Your-Own Mushroom Garden which lets anyone, across the country, grow their own gourmet mushrooms at home.

My Review
  I was sent BTTR's Gourmet Grow-it-at-home Oyster Mushroom Kit to review. When I first received the BTTR Oyster Mushroom Kit I was a bit nervous to try it out since my husband is the one with the green thumb. I shouldn't have been nervous because BTTR's Oyster Mushroom Kit is super easy to set up. Here are a few of the steps:

1. Cut a plus sign in the cover of the recycled coffee grounds using a knife
2. Fill the included mister bottle with tap water
3. Spray the soil twice daily with the water mister
4. Wait for your Oyster Mushrooms to grow...

   Easy enough right? My daughter, husband, and I each took turns misting the soil. For the first few days nothing was happening so we thought we might have done something wrong but by day four we started to see little mushroom pinheads popping out of the soil. Hurray! By day seven the mushrooms were pretty large but we gave them till day nine to keep growing. We made a great dish with udon noodles, tofu, and Oyster mushrooms from the kit and it was delicious.
I love the BTTR Oyster Mushroom Kit because it is easy to grow, a fun family activity, and the mushrooms are healthy and delicious! Oyster mushrooms are extremely healthy {one-third of their dry weight is protein} and contain amino acids and enzymes that have been shown to boost the immune system. Oyster Mushrooms are also rich in vitamin C, and vitamin B Complex. Calcium, phosphorus and iron content in oyster mushrooms are double the amount available in most meats. Wowza! The soil used inside the BTTR Mushroom kit is 100% recycled  coffee grounds so by using the kit you are also helping the earth by recycling! 


    I absolutely love having fresh mushrooms in my home that I can use whenever I need them. I highly recommend getting a BTTR Mushroom Kit and trying it out yourself. The BTTR Mushroom Kit costs $19.95 and can be purchase by visiting BTTRventures.com. I will definitely be purchasing another BTTR Mushroom kit when I am finished with my current one...My whole family LOVES it and I know yours will too!


Open to US residents ONLY!


BTTR would like to giveaway one Grow-it-at-home Oyster Mushroom Kit to one lucky Reader!


Mandatory Entry
Be a follower of Cherry Blossoms {The Blog} AND 'Like' BTTR via Facebook*
*if you do not have a facebook account please just leave a comment telling me why you would like to try the Oyster Mushroom Kit

Extra Entries
 | 'Like' Cherry Blossoms on Facebook| 
|Follow Cherry Blossoms via Twitter | add my button to your blog | subscribe|
Tweet about this Giveaway {add @CherryBlossBaby to your tweet!}|

Giveaway Ends July 15th, 2011, NOON EST



The company did send me a product or service for review. This in no way has affected my opinion of the product or service. This review is my opinion and has been written in my own words 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger