Did you know that the majority of Internet over cable subscribers waste money every month by renting rather than buying a cable modem?
As a little background, Comcast has about 16 million cable Internet subsribers. They represent about 40% of the US cable market and cable represents about 60% of home Internet access methods. By some accounts, 80% of cable service subscribers rent their modems. There are literally billions spent each year on cable modem rental.
As an example, Comcast rents a cable modem for $7 each month which equals out to $84.00 a year {20 years=$1600!} that is wasted by renting a modem! Zoom Telephonics sells their cable modem Model 5341 for between $80-$90, so in the long run you would be saving money if you bought your own modem.
Sure, the cable services are happy to see the revenue from rentals roll in each month-it is extra money for them! So is purchasing a modem from Zoom Telephonics really the way to go? Read my review below to find out!
A Bit about Zoom Telephonics Model 5341 Cable Modem
DOCSIS 3.0 is the highest speed standard used for cable modems in the USA and Canada. DOCSIS 3.0 is widely available already, and it’s becoming available to many more homes and businesses every day. Model 5341 cable modem lets you reach a blazingly fast speed of up to 172 Mbps when this speed is supported by your service provider. Model 5341 also works with slower DOCSIS 3.0, 2.0, 1.1, and 1.0 services, so it covers any cable service in the USA or Canada. So whether or not you have DOCSIS 3.0 cable service now, this cable modem is a great choice.
- Fast Internet! Up to 172 Mbps downstream and 143 Mbps upstream
- Fast Ethernet port! 10/10/1000 Mbps Ethernet port connects to your Windows or Macintosh computer, router, wireless access point, HomePlug adapter, or other Ethernet-enabled device
- Supports all popular DOCSIS cable modem standards – 3.0, 2.0, 1.1, and 1.0.
- Includes advanced networking capability including IPv4 and IPv6 to maximize performance
- Texas Instruments chipset
- Includes energy-saving switching power cube, Ethernet cable, and Quick Start
- Small, attractive cable modem can lie flat or stand up using the stand provided
- Certifications: FCC 15B, UL, CE, CableLabs, Comcast, Cox, and Charter
- Works with all US cable modem services and with DOCSIS service worldwide
My Review
I was sent Zoom Telephonics Model 5341 Cable Modem to review. I am sad to report that for almost eight years we have been renting our cable modem from Comcast. We have wasted $672 on rental fees...that just makes me sick to my stomach. There were a few reasons why I decided to rent instead of purchase a modem; when my husband and I were newly married almost eight years ago we were just making ends meet so purchasing a modem was just not in our budget. We signed up to rent one from Comcast and really didn't think much of the "monthly fee" we were paying. Years and years went by, my husband got a terminal degree, and we had two beautiful children. A few months ago I was going over our bills and how much we were paying for our internet...I looked at the modem "rental" price did the math in my head and figured out we were paying a large sum to just rent a modem when we could potentially buy one and save money in the long run. I researched a few companies that offered modems for sale but out of all the companies I researched Zoom Telephonics came up with the best ratings and performance statistics overall. I was delighted when I got the chance to review Zoom Telephonics 5341 Cable Modem for myself. The 5341 Cable Modem comes with everything you will need to get your modem set up; a power cube, ethernet cable, and quick start. Upon receiving the modem I set it up {took me less than five minutes}, called Comcast, informed them that I was no longer renting a modem from them and gave them my new modem information. Comcast then said that they would have to register the modem onto the system and that it would take a few hours to do so... {lets just say I got a bit pushy at this point}. As soon as my modem was registered with Comcast my internet was up and running again...hurray! Oh, but that is not all....I thought my internet was fast before...NO way! With my new Cable Modem from Zoom Telephonics my internet is SO much faster {and I have just basic cable internet service with Comcast!}. I am extremely satisfied with my Zoom Telephonics 5341 Cable Modem; not only am I saving money but I am getting the best internet reception that I have ever gotten! Don't waste your money by renting a modem like I did...instead buy a Zoom Telephonics Modem...I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner!
The company did send me a product or service for review. This in no way has affected my opinion of the product or service. This review is my opinion and has been written in my own words


No comments:
Post a Comment