tattoos

Saturday, February 19, 2011

I lost my virginity to a Green Monster

I've had a bad couple of weeks weightloss-wise and so to get back on the wagon, I have been choosing breakfasts of homemade smoothies. I have been interested in trying the 'Green Monster' smoothie for a very long time, but never got round to it. As much as I love raw spinach, the thought of it combined with the sweetness of banana and milk didn't appeal to me whatsoever.

If you are not familiar with a Green Monster, you can read the story behind it here. I first heard of Green Monsters back last year from Victoria, and through her blogpost I was introduced to Angela. I am a big fan of Angela's blog and I am really inspired by her enthusiasm to live the healthiest life she can - definitely a daily read for me. I whizzed together a handful of baby spinach, a small frozen banana, a small unfrozen banana and a glass of regular semi-skimmed milk, and viola; my very first Green Monster.


I have to say, for my first attempt I was pretty impressed. I used my normal food processor so it's not as smooth or blended as I'd like, but it was fine. The bits of spinach looked off-putting at first but you can't taste it, despite using a big handful. The original recipe calls for ice cubes and flax, but I omitted them; the ice cubes because I used a frozen banana and the flax because I couldn't get my hands on any. I used two bananas as I thought mine were on the small side, but one would've been plenty. I always use a frozen banana as the base of my smoothies because it tastes creamier and is more of a thick, milkshake style smoothie.

This is such a great way to get an extra portion of fruit and vegetables into your diet, because you don't even realise you are doing it. It's tasty, it's super filling and sees me through the morning perfectly - which in my eyes, is the ideal breakfast. I'm really looking forward to perfecting this recipe to the smoothness and consistency I like, and I'm also excited to try out some other Green Monster recipes now.

Have you tried a Green Monster before?

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger