tattoos

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Spiced carrot and lentil soup

Despite having some rare sunny days this week, the evenings have been cold and dark and the mornings have a distinct chill in the air. It's had me craving something warm and comforting, so I made up a huge batch of spiced carrot and lentil soup. Quick, simple, hearty and wholesome, and perfect with a crusty wholemeal roll. Yum!


Ingredients

300g carrots, grated
150g dried split red lentils
1 litre vegetable stock
120mls milk
Pinch of chilli flakes
1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp mild curry powder
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste


Method

Dry fry the chilli flakes in a large saucepan for about 30 seconds, then add the olive oil.

Add the grated carrots (I don't bother to peel mine before I grate them - I just make sure they are cleaned thoroughly, but it's up to you) and fry for a few minutes until they've softened slightly.

Add the spices and stir through. Continue cooking for a few minutes, then add the vegetable stock.


Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, before adding the milk and lentils. I used Kara Dairy Free Coconut Milk, and it added a lovely sweetness to the soup. Bring the soup back to the boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes until the lentils have softened, swollen, and absorbed most of the liquid, like this:


Season with salt and pepper to suit your tastes. The next step is optional but I like to transfer to a food processor and pulse for a few seconds until it's still thick in consistency but smoother in texture.


I've frozen mine in batches, and I've noticed that when reheating I need to add a bit of water or more vegetable stock, as the lentils continue to thicken the soup. This is really delicious and will become a staple through the forthcoming colder months. It's vegetarian, low fat, super tasty and very filling - what more do I need?! Yummers!

What are your foodie staples for the colder months?

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger