Every now and again something occurs that makes me realise how fortunate I am. I touched on it briefly during yesterday's post, but the recent disaster in Japan has overwhelmed me. The footage on TV is both shocking and saddening to watch, and I know I am not the only one who feels this way. I am not rich by any means, but I'm damn sure I can go without a magazine or coffee this week, and donate a couple of quid to help those who need it. Gemma has made a video on how we, as a collective, can donate to help Japan. It is entirely up to you and I'm not trying to pressurise people into it, I'm just putting it out there should you choose to help :)
Another cause that I really think is a fantastic idea is Give and Makeup. This is a charity that donates everyday essentials, such as toothpaste, shower gel, cleanser and makeup items such as foundation and mascara to women who have sought refuge from abusive relationships and homes. When you finally build up the courage and seize the opportunity to escape from that abusive life, you leave so many little 'luxuries' behind. This charity gives that little bit of femininity back to these women, and I know I have so many things that I don't need, so I have decided to donate some of the items that I have set aside for a blog sale. Please check out the website for a full list of items they need and where you can send them to.
And finally, Red Nose Day 2011! Chris Moyles and Comedy Dave from Radio 1 have raised almost £2.5million by broadcasting for non-stop for 52 hours, which is such an incredible achievement! I listen to Chris et al every single morning and am a big fan of the show. I kinda have a thing for tubby, funny men (Mr Moyles, James Corden, even Mr L) and have dipped in and out of the radio show and the red button show over the last 2 days. I have really enjoyed watching and listening, and can't believe they lasted so long without sleep. I felt really emotional when they were reaching their big milestones - breaking the 37 hour record, raising over £1million, and finally completing the broadcast, and I'm not going to lie, I shed a tear when Dave's little girl Nicole came on! Well worth the text donations :)
I'm going to record the Red Nose Day show tonight and lets be honest, skip through the sad stuff, but there's a few things I'm looking forward to - James Corden bringing Smithy back to our screens:
The Inbetweeners
and Take That / Fake That.
This is a bit of a different post from me and it isn't to patronise or plead, it's just to congratulate the Radio 1 team and highlight some important issues, and I thought it particularly poignant with today being Red Nose Day. If you can contribute to anything, fantastic, and if you can't or don't want to, that's fine too :)
Happy Friday everybody!
xoxo




No comments:
Post a Comment