tattoos

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Local Pop 60s, 70s Songs: Personal Choice (Part I)

I am trying to ease the trauma and tragedy of these past weeks and the postings I had of the Japanese tsunami, the radioactive leak and the passing away of a great, pop 60s keyboardist friend... So, change of subject.

LOCAL SONGS I LOVE:

Friends have asked me my list of favourite songs by Singapore 60s artistes. They noticed that all the songs I love are not Singapore ones. It is a long list but I thought about it and decided that the eleven songs below could be my choice. Some of the hits are covers of US and British ones sung by our artistes while others are originals by Singaporeans Robert Suriya, Henry Chua, Matthew Tan, Shirley Nair, Harvey Fitzgerald and others.

I have included The Blue Diamonds' Ramona under local as Ruud and Riem de Wolffe are so familiar in our music scene. In fact I like them better than The Everlys. Rudy has passed on but Riem is somewhat Singaporean. The songs are not in any particular order. And remember, we were young then, in our 20s?


1. Shanty - The Quests

2. Ramona - The Blue Diamonds

3. Singapore Cowboy - Matthew & The Mandarins

4. It's All Over - Naomi & The Boys

5. My Lonely Heart - The Thunderbirds

6. Happy, Happy, Birthday Baby (Chinese) - Rita Chao

7. Mr. Twister - The Crescendos

8. I Believe - The Tidbits

9. Do It Right - Benny & The Trailer

10. You're The Boy - Shirley Nair & Silver Strings

11. Sausalito - Western Union Band

And the song that transports me back to the 60s? Most of them. Do you have a local 60s or 70s favourite?


Image: The LIFE Records Ltd, Nathan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong. Andy Lim Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger