tattoos

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Jose Mari Chan's Big Hit: "Beautiful Girl" (Pt II)

SONGS I LOVE:

I only heard Jose Mari Chan with Beautiful Girl in the early 90s. This carrier single from his album Constant Change sold very well and became a regional hit especially in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.

250,00 Copies:

But not many people know it's written by a Filipino. It exceeded 10 times 'Platinum' status, more than 250,000 copies, so the Philippines music industry had to come up with the 'Diamond' Record Award for JMC.

Lea Salonga:

Beautiful Girl was even covered by Asian stars like Aaron Kwok, Paula Tsui, Sally Yee, Sandy Lam, Kamahl, Tomomi Akimoto and Yasuo T while other JMC romantic favourites by country mate diva, Lea Salonga (Miss Saigon.)

Christmas In Our Hearts:

Again and again his songs have rebounded as hits for other artistes. So when I asked some Filipino musicians working in Singapore about Jose Mari Chan, they exclaimed, "Christmas In Our Hearts!" because it is the industry's biggest selling Christmas album in history. Blessed with a great voice, good looks, a talented mind and rapturous fans, it looks as if JMC has got them all.

(A recent email from MusicMeister LL about JMC woke me up as I realised that he is one Filipino pop singer that I had to include in my list of music influences.

Beautiful Girl by Jose Mari Chan

Beautiful girl, wherever you are/I knew when I saw you, you had opened the door/I knew that I'd love again after a long, long while/I'd love again.

You said "hello" and I turned to go/But something in your eyes left my heart beating so/I just knew that I'd love again after a long, long while/I'd love again.

Chorus: It was destiny's game/For when love finally came on/I rushed in line only to find/That you were gone.

Wherever you are, I fear that I might/Have lost you forever like a song in the night/Now that I've loved again after a long, long while/I've loved again.

Beautiful girl, I'll search on for you/'Til all of your loveliness in my arms come true/You've made me love again after a long, long while/In love again/And I'm glad that it's you/Hmm, beautiful girl.


Information: Wikipedia, other Websites.

Original article: Andy Lim

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger